Recently I was trying to set up my intervalometer on my Z7, and I saw the menu item was gray and not possible to select. This happens frequently if you use a lot of different shooting menus in your camera, so I thought I would mention a few that cause the dreaded gray menu selection. Grayed out menu items include the intervalometer, wireless flash, HDR and Time Lapse Movie. Most are quick to fix, but one may fool you when you first buy your camera,
Generally, when a shooting mode can’t be selected, here are some reasons and ways to fix them:
1.Auto bracketing turned on. Turn it off.
2. Multiple exposure turned on. Turn it off,
3. HDR not selectable…try shooting in JPEG instead of RAW.
4. Flash card not inserted…yes, I have done this…and many menu items won’t work…duh!
5. Lens not fully attached. This can cause problems with shooting modes and displays that show ERR.
6. My favorite…World clock, date and time not set. This happens when you first buy your camera. Without setting the date/time, many shooting modes may not be selectable.
7. Flash mode not selectable. Make sure to turn on Wireless Flash in the shooting menu.
There you have it. Next time you run into a grayed out menu option, try one of these tips!